ARTIST SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
MISSION STATEMENT: The Penticton Art Gallery exists to exhibit, interpret, preserve and promote the visual artistic heritage of the region, the province and the nation.
Community Responsibility: The gallery interacts with the community by designing programs that inspire, challenge, educate and entertain while recognizing excellence in the visual arts.
Professional Responsibility: The gallery employs curatorial expertise to implement the setting of exhibitions, programs and services in accordance with nationally recognized professional standards of operation.
Fiscal Responsibility: The operation and programs of the gallery are conducted within the scope of the financial and human resources available.
The Main gallery of the Penticton Art Gallery is dedicated to professional artists. The Project Room, Toni Onley Gallery and Education Space feature emerging artists, local guilds, organizations and school groups.
The Canada Council for the Arts defines a professional artist as someone who has specialized training in the field (not necessarily from an academic institution), who is recognized as such by her or his peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition), who is committed to the artistic activity if financially feasible and who has a history of public presentation.
Your submission package should include the following:
- Twenty (20) images of your most recent work, specifically those works which you are interested in exhibiting. Digital images are the preferred format. All images should be clearly labeled with the artist’s name, title of work, medium, the year the work was produced and a red dot in the lower right hand corner designating the direction of the image. A complete list of all works should be included.
- A short biography and curriculum vitae is required. This should include all pertinent information regarding the artist’s exhibition history, articles or catalogues, artist’s involvement and education as well as a current address and phone number.
- An artist statement (statement of intent) must accompany the application.
- All materials should be clearly marked and labeled. Please include a self-addressed return envelope and postage.
- Submissions should be sent to the attention of the curator.
Exhibitions are selected by the curator based on the following criteria:
- Professional Intent
- Educational value
- Type of work
- Availability of space
The Penticton Art Gallery strives to provide the public with a balanced program of local, regional, traditional and contemporary art.
The gallery is booked an average of eighteen (18) months in advance. Submissions may be received at any time however the selection process may take well over a year. Submissions are not acknowledged upon receipt at the gallery.
It is not our mandate to sell works of art during an exhibition. However the Penticton Art Gallery will take a 20% commission on any works which are sold during an exhibition.
Thank you for your interest in the Penticton Art Gallery.